Saturday, November 17, 2007

Chapter Cook-Off and DOG event ~ 17 November

Wow... where do I begin? Do I start with how beautiful today was? Do I detail how great the cook-off was today? Do I talk about the wonderful DOG event after the cook-off?

To start with... many thanks to Debbie Hair for finding the location for today's event. The Pioneer Craft house is central to most chapter members. Including Omar and Dian from Idaho... and Terry Lewis from Tabiona, UT... AND, there was a truck driver that read about our event online and drove over a thousand miles just to hang out with us today. That's dedication.

The sun was shining for most of the day. The temperature was great for a November day. There was little to no wind. There were one or two teams concerned about their dough rising, but I thought every one's bread was great. It was a great day for a cook-off.

We had six teams show up for today's Chapter cook-off. Five of the six teams competed at the Lehi Rodeo Cook-Off back in June. Each of the teams did a great job on their dishes and I am sure the judges had a hard time judging. I had three judges for the desserts, three for the breads, and three for the main dishes. Jack Wallace was our field judge, and there were three different 'cutters' to assist the judges. I have to admit that I feel this was a well organized cook-off and I think all the teams enjoyed it. At least I hope they all enjoyed it.

The prizes for the event were a 14" Hard Anodized Aluminum Dutch Oven from GSI (Thanks GSI), a Camp Chef grill box (Thanks Terry), two dinners for two from Rodizio (Thanks Eduardo!), and two $50 gift certificates from Sportsmans Warehouse (Thanks Jon). I really do appreciate the generosity of all our sponsors. (And I'll be hitting all of them up in the next couple of months for more prizes for the Lehi Rodeo Cook-Off next June!)

Right after the judges were done, I invited all the teams and chapter members to taste all of the presented dishes. I think it really helps a team to taste the dishes presented by other competing teams... and I like having the chapter members get this same chance by tasting the dishes after the judges and teams were done.

After the judges were done with the main dishes, I asked all the chapter members that cooked for the DOG event to place their dishes on the same table as the presented main dishes. All the teams and all the chapter members... as well as a few guests from the Pioneer House... got the chance to taste the six amazing main dishes and some very good dishes made by the other chapter members. I have to admit that I sort of expected the teams to be tired and want to take off after cooking. I was very pleased to see all the teams and all the chapter members sitting around, chatting, and enjoying the food. This has to be the best attended DOG event this year. I really think that everyone enjoyed the afternoon.

Congrats to Debbie and Mindy Hair for winning first place and qualifying for the 2008 WCCO.

Congrats to Damon Faust and Cyd Horne for winning second place... and being nominated to represent the Storm Mountain Chapter for the 2008 WCCO.

Tim and Amanda Watt came in third place.

Ted and Dallin Cromer came in fourth place.

Erik and Kris Hansen came in fifth.

Mary Allen and Julie Dwire came in sixth.

Of course I am going to include some links!!!

I have added pictures to the Teams on the chapter website...
http://stormmtn.phpnet.us/cook_offs/Chapter_07/index.htm#teams

I have the recipes from the cook-off online as a PDF file...
http://stormmtn.phpnet.us/cook_offs/Chapter_07/files/Recipe_Book.pdf

I have pictures on the chapter website... and I will probably be adding pictures over the next few days...
http://picasaweb.google.com/stormmtn/2007StormMountainChapterCookOffDOGEvent

Many thanks to all the teams, all the judges, and all the people that brought food for the DOG. Thanks to all the chapter members and friends that showed up to help us enjoy such a wonder November day!

At the event, we signed up THREE new members to IDOS, and a chapter member renewed his membership with IDOS. I have the Storm Mountain / IDOS sign up and renewal from on the last page of the cook-off cookbook... so we might have a few more people joining up soon. I'd say it was a great day for IDOS as well!

No comments: